Friday, March 2, 2012

LJ Smith dumped as 'Vampire Diaries' author



Writer LJ Smith has found out why self-publishing –despite its hazards- is a better route. The author, who has been penning the popular Vampire Diaries series since 1990, has basically been fired from writing anymore of those books. While her name will remain on them, any future novels in the series will be ghostwritten by others. 

She explains:

"You’re probably wondering how this can happen, since I write the series and have done so since 1990. But the truth is simple. When I got a call asking me to write a vampire trilogy for Harper, it wasn’t Harper who was calling me. It was a book packager, now called Alloy Entertainment, calling on Harper’s behalf. Their job was to take authors’ work, put blurbs and covers on it, and sell it to a publisher. When I wrote the first Vampire Diaries trilogy it was called “work for hire.” By the time I found out what that meant it was too late. What it means is that the book packager, Alloy Entertainment, owns the books, not me. Even though they are copyrighted to me, I still can’t write them without Alloy’s permission. And they really hated any Delena content—as well as the many scenes I had given to Bonnie, which they wanted to cut. They demanded only Stelena. And now they’ve gotten an anonymous ghostwriter to do the books, the way a ghostwriter does Stefan’s Diaries.” She added “unlike most writers who work with book packagers, I was not submissive, meek, and eager to please them. Instead, I had my own vision of the books.”

Which is fine, you wanted to write Damon/Elena storylines, but you found out that they wanted Stefen/Elena and you did not do what they asked, so they fired you. Still, I doubt Smith will be hurt by this and after 22 years as a writer, she should be able to land on her feet and get published. But this might be the opportunity to self-publish her own ideas; property that she’ll have complete control over. 

It’s also a cautious tale of budding authors who sell their souls just to get published. As a writer-for-hire, no matter how many books you write, in the end, you own none of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment